[I] am blessed to be a member of Fellowship Church. For the past 10 years I have attended their annual pastor’s Creative Church Conference, better know as C3. Each year, Pastor Ed Young invites about 3000 pastors from around the world, to study creative ways to do church. As a business owner, I always get tons of ideas that apply to my small business. Here are my notes from this morning session called “3 Reason to Get Fat” by Pastor Ed Young.
Session 1 – Ed Young, 3 Reasons to Get Fat, 9a, 02/10/2016
2 Chronicles 17:4-5, 18:19
“but sought the God of his father and followed his commands rather than the practices of Israel. 5 The Lord established the kingdom under his control; and all Judah brought gifts to Jehoshaphat, so that he had great wealth and honor.”
Because fat is where it is at.
1. Jehoshaphat was fat with mentors.
- Who was your mentors?
- Are you fat with mentors?
- We are all standing on the shoulders of the people who paid the path for us.
- Don’t ignore advise. Take their advice and do what they tell you to do.
- Ask the right people, the right questions, to get the right answers.
- Jehoshaphat begin to chew the fat because of his alignment with the wrong people.
- Make sure your mentors are following the LORD.
- The name Jehoshaphat means Joseph judges.
- When you get the bail out you get hell out.
2. Jehoshaphat was Fat with Mission.
2 Chronicles 17:7
7 In the third year of his reign he sent his officials Ben-Hail, Obadiah, Zechariah, Nethanel and Micaiah to teach in the towns of Judah.
- He – God, Me – The Pastor, We — Staff, They – The People
- People leave our church.
- Our basic mission is to win people to Christ.
- True disciple always ends in evangelism.
- Who are we reaching?
- What in the heck are you doing?
- When in doubt win people to Jesus.
- Bring the staff back.
- At the top of the ladder is where it gets the windiest.
- Don’t chase things that are good that end up being superfluous.
- Good stuff is the enemy of great stuff.
- When hiring staff:
- Check social media
- Check references
- People get funny when you talk about money.
- The only people who give you crap about talking about money => selfish Christian.
- Two times the devil shows up during a worship service… during the offer and when giving an alter call.
- Don’t be shy to fire people. When you fire people, there will be a fire.
2 Chronicles 18:1
Now Jehoshaphat had great wealth and honor, and he allied himself with Ahab by marriage.
3. Jehoshaphat was Fat withMulligans. God Always Gives Us a Do-over.
- You have to make sure that they people you are with, as a leader, are doing what they are supposed to do.
- We make leadership mistakes. Just don’t make the same mistake again.
- If you associate with the wrong people, you’ll end up fighting the wrong battles.
What are your thoughts? What nuggets strike you?
Featured image taken from the balcony 2/10/2016 C3 Conference.