[W]ith three active kids who are days away from starting school, I’ve been staying up late or getting up extra early to catch up on work. While I do have an office, just two short miles from the house, I have also put together a make shift private office in my house. Private in the sense that it is a card table located in the master bathroom. Does that count?
Work Space = Slob Space: What’s on Your Desk?
None of this is normally a problem, except I am one of those geeks whose work space has turned into a slob space. I am a firm believe in filling any blank space with any nick-nacks or junk. Sadly, I continue to work in this environment until it gets so bad… “How bad Fred?”..that I can barely get my laptop to fit on any flat surface of the desk.
Well today is that day. The day I clean my home office desk. The day I vow for the millionth time, not to live in such clutter. So as I clean my desk, I thought I would play… What’s on Your Desk? Here’s what I found on mine today…
Slob Space: Piles of Books
Without a doubt I am a reader and trying to adhere to my goal of reading 50 books this year. Nevertheless, here is a short list of what is on my desk at home. (Keep in mind we’re not counting my bedside table, living room, bookshelves, work office, etc.)
– “A Framework for Understanding Poverty” by Dr. Ruby K. Payne
– “11/22/63” by Stephen King
– “Built to Last” by James C. Collins
– “The Fred Factor” by Mark Sanborn
– “Step-by-Step Bookkeeping” by Robert C. Ragan, CPA
– “1001 Ways to Reward Employees” by Bob Nelson
– “A Millionaire’s Notebook” by Steven K. Scott
[tweet “If your desk at home or work is a mess, raise your hand? #slobspace”]
Slob Space: Unfinished Projects
I have just good intentions of finishing little projects that never get done but live permanently on my desk.
– An External Hard Drive – I am sure I took this out of my office safe to take home and backup @SuperParentMom’s and the kids’ laptops. I think it has sat here unsecured since New Year’s Day.
– A Broken Remote Control Race Car – My youngest son Daniel, received a remote control race car for Christmas. It didn’t work out of the box and I was either going to fix, exchange, or send back under warranty. At this rate if I wait a little longer I can fix it and re-gift it to him this Christmas.
– A Stack of Mobile Deposited Checks – How long does the credit union want us to keep these?
Fred’s Office Desk is Not Quite as Bad
Slob Space: Mail, Magazines, & Trivia Paperwork
The majority of my slob spaces is filled with junk mail, junk magazines, and junk paperwork. Basically junk.
Shifting through my desk’s paperwork, I find restaurant flyers, old mail, instructions for the kids’ board games, blank spirals, folders of work I brought home, magazines from conferences I attend more than a year ago. It’s time to grab the recycle bin!
Feature Images from my desk at home and work. sigh