Single Fathers on the Rise
We all know now that’s no longer the case. Our society has seen a proliferation of households headed by fathers, giving you credibility, understanding, and most important, resources to help you deal with your unusual circumstances. Since Americans poll and investigate everything these days, finding that information was easy.
Pew Research gives us some numbers:
- 8% of households with minors are headed by a single father; up from just over 1% in 1960. Numerically, it’s grown from 300,000 to more than 2.6 million.
- In 1960, men made up 14% of single parent households; today the number is 24%.
- Single fathers are more likely to be cohabiting than are single mothers, 41%-16%. However, cohabitation decreases for fathers over the age of 40.
- Additionally, single fathers 52% are separated, divorced, widowed, or never married. Additionally, 7% are married but living apart from their spouse.
- 19% of single fathers lack a high school diploma; 10% of married fathers lack same.
- The average income for a single dad household of three is $40,000, far from the median income of $70,000 among households headed by married fathers, but far ahead of the median for single mothers’ $26,000.
- 36% of fathers living at or just below the poverty line are single parents; this drops to 13% for those living above the poverty line.
What Do We Learn from the Data?
The information gives us great insight into the world of single fathers, and maybe even gives us a snapshot as to where our society is headed. Are single fathers on the rise? It’s dangerous however, to plug yourself into these numbers and make any long-term determinations about you and your future. Everyone’s situation is different, and making a limiting forecast about your life can prove limiting, maybe even dangerous.
This is only a sampling of statistics for single parent families in America. For more, go to www.PewSocialTrends.org.
What are your thoughts on the increase in single father households?
Paid image from www.DollarPhotoClub.com.
Latest posts by FullCustodyDad / Fred Campos (see all)
- How To Improve Your Case for Custody After a Divorce - October 29, 2019
- Why Fishing is the Perfect Hobby for Father and Son Time - October 9, 2019
- How To Financially Survive Divorce - September 25, 2019