Session 1 – Ed Young, 3 Reasons to Get Fat, 9a, 02/10/2016
2 Chronicles 17:4-5, 18:19
“but sought the God of his father and followed his commands rather than the practices of Israel. 5 The Lord established the kingdom under his control; and all Judah brought gifts to Jehoshaphat, so that he had great wealth and honor.”
Because fat is where it is at.
1. Jehoshaphat was fat with mentors.
- Who was your mentors?
- Are you fat with mentors?
- We are all standing on the shoulders of the people who paid the path for us.
- Don’t ignore advise. Take their advice and do what they tell you to do.
- Ask the right people, the right questions, to get the right answers.
- Jehoshaphat begin to chew the fat because of his alignment with the wrong people.
- Make sure your mentors are following the LORD.
- The name Jehoshaphat means Joseph judges.
- When you get the bail out you get hell out.
2. Jehoshaphat was Fat with Mission.
2 Chronicles 17:7
7 In the third year of his reign he sent his officials Ben-Hail, Obadiah, Zechariah, Nethanel and Micaiah to teach in the towns of Judah.
- He – God, Me – The Pastor, We — Staff, They – The People
- People leave our church.
- Our basic mission is to win people to Christ.
- True disciple always ends in evangelism.
- Who are we reaching?
- What in the heck are you doing?
- When in doubt win people to Jesus.
- Bring the staff back.
- At the top of the ladder is where it gets the windiest.
- Don’t chase things that are good that end up being superfluous.
- Good stuff is the enemy of great stuff.
- When hiring staff:
- Check social media
- Check references
- People get funny when you talk about money.
- The only people who give you crap about talking about money => selfish Christian.
- Two times the devil shows up during a worship service… during the offer and when giving an alter call.
- Don’t be shy to fire people. When you fire people, there will be a fire.
2 Chronicles 18:1
Now Jehoshaphat had great wealth and honor, and he allied himself with Ahab by marriage.
3. Jehoshaphat was Fat withMulligans. God Always Gives Us a Do-over.
- You have to make sure that they people you are with, as a leader, are doing what they are supposed to do.
- We make leadership mistakes. Just don’t make the same mistake again.
- If you associate with the wrong people, you’ll end up fighting the wrong battles.
What are your thoughts? What nuggets strike you?
Featured image taken from the balcony 2/10/2016 C3 Conference.
Latest posts by FullCustodyDad / Fred Campos (see all)
- Your Kids Will Never Settle Into Their Lives With You Unless… - February 13, 2019
- Time Strapped Dad? Don’t Worry, These Options Will Save You - January 31, 2019
- Perfecting Parenting - January 30, 2019